Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Christmas Ornament 2008

I decided to continue my mother's tradition of making ornaments for her grandchildren. Now that I've got one grandchild and two on the way, it's getting to be something I can't just start and finish on Christmas Eve. I'll have to be more organized next year! I dug out a mini sweater pattern designed by one of my knitting friends. I wanted it to look like a Weasley sweater from the Harry Potter books and films. I knit it up with my favorite sock yarn, Mountain Colors Bearfoot. I used navy for the main sweater and a nice golden color for the letter. This one is for Abram.


I knit the sweater completely with the navy, rather than mess with the intarsia method in such a small project. Then I added the letter by stitching over the existing stitches with the golden yarn.

Thread a dull darning needle with a long piece of yarn. (One yard will be plenty.) Bring the yarn out at the bottom of a stitch where it forms a V. Insert the darning needle behind the stitch above, following where the right leg of that V goes.


Here's a closeup. (sorry it's so blurry - hope you can get the idea anyway)










Make all your stitches following the path of the yarn as it moves from one stitch to the next. It's a serpentine kind of move.


























Here's the finished A. Now just to weave in the ends and seam up the sleeves!










To finish it off, I made a little wire hanger out of 20-gauge copper/tin wire.

1 comment:

  1. I can say personally that this is the CUTEST ornament ever!!! Don't you just love the little hanger?

    ReplyDelete