Saturday, December 27, 2008

M1 Tutorial

There are two ways that I "make one" when doing an increase in knitting. Whichever method you choose, you are picking up the "ladder" between the two stitches on your left and right needles. Here's a still shot of the "ladder."


The first M1 increase method leaves a hole. If you doing a project that will be felted, this is okay. The hole will close. Sometimes you want a hole, as in knitting lace. Also, this M1 method can be used to correct a missed yarn over in the previous row. Just mark the place where you missed the yarn over and M1 when you come to it. I call this the M1, left needle. Insert the tip of your left needle beneath the ladder from front to back. Knit this lifted ladder stitch through the front leg. Notice the large hole formed beneath the M1 stitch.



The other method I use does not leave a hole in the knitting. It's a great way to make an M1 increase more invisibly. I call this the M1, right needle. Insert the tip of the right needle beneath the ladder from back to front. Insert the tip of the left needle into the front leg of this stitch and knit in this position. Notice that there is no hole beneath this M1. This M1 is much more difficult, especially inserting the tip of the left needle into the front leg of the stitch, so be patient with yourself! The result is well worth it.

3 comments:

  1. That is freaking awesome! I wish I knew what you were talking about but I will!! You need to do a project tutorial or a knit along.
    I really like the over the shoulder shots so I can see just what to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for this awesome!! tutorial. For some reason this has been a mystery to me. This tutorial rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank You, Thank You, Thank You. I never knew how to M1 without leaving a hole, but now I do. Knitting some baby booties at the moment and I want them to be perfect.
    Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete